Thursday, February 5, 2009

Running for my life

As a Christmas and birthday gift to myself, I purchased a new pair of running shoes, the new iPod nano, and a Nike + iPod sports kit, all to hopefully kick into high gear my attempt to run a marathon.

Ok, I'm not aiming that far. But I am aiming to lower my blood pressure along the way.  In truth, I started running more consistently again last year, but not at the level that I feel I should to keep away the meds. Then high school buddy John Alcordo told me he had lost 30 lbs running 3 to 4 times a week, and that he was setting a personal goal of 10K in 1 hour by the end of 2008. And so I picked up the pace.

What I love about my Nike + iPod is the data I receive after each run. All this time, I had thought that my usual route was a 5K distance. Not. Apparently more like 6.5K. And so I pushed further, going 7K, 2-3 times a week.  Last week, I started doing 8K. My time, close to 42 mins. My average pace, 5'15" per kilometer. Hmmm, maybe I should challenge John to a 10K run soon.

I guess you could say I am running for my life. I know I am not getting any younger, and that I have to repent for all the crispy pata, binagoongan, sisig, bagnet that my youth consumed. But more than that, I am running for my life because there are so many wrongs to make right, so many colleagues to learn from, so much family to love. I want to live longer to behold the successes of my nieces and nephews, to commiserate with my friends on their misfortunes, to absorb the kindness of strangers. One more pupil I could mentor, one more secret I could share, one more miracle I could witness, would certainly be worth one more kilometer on the road.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow Norman, super can relate to this blog! Very nice exercise ang running! It really helped me a lot too. :-) And yes, perfect yung Nike+iPod kit mo. :-) Pareho kayo ni Paul meron! His goal is to be a triathlete, pero ngayon mukhang trying to be an athlete muna at pareho kaming batugan! Couldn't get back to my 4x a week ideal regular exercise yet, but working towards that goal. :-) I think you should consider the marathon pa rin! Ang ganda na ng running time mo. :-) If Paul and I hear about an upcoming run/marathon, we'll let you know. :-)

Norman Agatep said...

Ayus. Runners unite! : ) See you on the road.

Papa said...

hey thanks norms! you give me way more credit than i deserve....its actually 20lbs less not 30....as for my pace, am still trying to break the 5k barrier....but great to hear we have another runner joining the pack....lets plan to signing up soon for a run in fort boni....cheers!